Engine Company 5 was established in 1956 . Twenty members of the headquarters companies ( E1, E2 and L3) who lived in the south side of Bethpage were given the opportunity to transfer to Engine Co. 5. Due to the population and housing boom after World War 2 , a substation with two bays was being built on Union Ave , south of Hempstead Turnpike. There were two engines assigned to Station 5 – a Ward LaFrance and a 1943 Mack. Captain Charles Ostrander and lieutenant Vincent Catalano, Sr, were appointed by Chief Gustave Bernhardt. The first elected officers were Capt Ostrander, Lt David Nathan, Secretary Frank Blair and Treasurer Frank Ernst. In October 1981 two more bays were added to to Station 5. The Chief of Department was Alexander Castaldi, who later became Commissioner.