About Engine & Ladder Co. 4
In May 1956, the Board of Fire Commissioners opened two new sub stations in the Bethpage Fire District. One firehouse was located on Union Ave on the south end of town (Station 5) and the other was located on Stewart Ave on the North End of town (Station 4). The charter Captain was Michael Mancini now an Ex-Chief. The Company was assigned two Ward La France “pumpers”.
Engine Company 4 was later renamed Engine & Ladder Company Four when the old Ladder 3 was reassigned to cover the North end of the tracks. His was one of many changes that occurred throughout the years. Other apparatus included Two American La France Engines, which were replaced with the current Two Pierce Engines (Squad 4 & 9044). Company Four also has the only Stump Jumper (Brush Fire Unit) in Nassau County. In 2009 Company Four will take delivery of a new Ferrara Engine (9044).
On May 25th, 1978, Engine Company Four lost two of their members in the Line of Duty at an arson fire in the Brothers 3 Pool Supply store. Captain Joseph Dunn and Firefighter Robert Hassett became trapped after chemicals began to explode in the store. To this day the company visits their graves on Memorial Day Weekend.
In 2006, Engine Company Four celebrated its 50th year. Engine Company Four has always prided itself on being on the top of their game. The members of the company have always worked hard and have been dedicated to the community and the department.